28.1.08

further madness

So I'm stuck in work and I can't go home because the Israeli army is occupying Bethlehem.

We think that the Israelis used the passing of George Habash and the as an excuse to go in and get a wanted Islamic Jihad member, who has been on the run for years.  A co-worker says that the Israelis might have gotten a tip that he was at his family home here in Bethlehem, which may or may not be true.  Anyway, the folks in the neighbourhood say that he definitely isn't there now, but the Israelis have the bulldozer poised to demolish the home, and apparently they're already at work on destroying their front fence and gate, and apparently the guy's 70-year-old paralytic father is inside and obviously can't get out.

Also, the Israelis have closed off most of the major streets in the central Bethlehem area south of and including Paul VI Street, so my co-worker and her sister can't go to their home, where their elderly mother is home alone surrounded by Israeli soldiers.  I myself probably can't go home, because the Israelis have occupied the tallest building in the area and I'd have to pass by it on my way, unless I decided to go the long way backwards around Bethlehem to get to my house.

A 17-year-old was shot and killed earlier today, around 5pm, and another young man was shot in the foot.  They've probably got snipers stationed at windows and on rooftops to enforce the security lockdown, so maybe I'll stay here for the night?

At least we've got a guest house.

No comments: